What is the Gaiter Grants Committee?
Are you looking for funding for your BUSRC Extra group? For upcoming events, initiatives, equipment, space rentals and more? The Gaiter Grants Committee (GGC) is the SRC committee that helps decide where the money that the Board of Student Representatives (BSR) has allotted to extracurricular funding goes. Our bylaws also state that the funding has to be split up for each semester in a 60% and 40% split. This means that we can only give out 60% of the fund in the first semester and 40% of the fund in the second semester!
How much money has been allotted to extracurricular funding this year?
This year (2022/23) there is $30 000 in available funds.
What types of grants are there?
There are two types of GGC grants – a major and a minor grant. A minor grant is under $100. A major grant is a grant that is over $100 – and requires additional information and asks some questions that are on the next page. Each group can apply to the GGC twice per semester, once for a major grant and once for a minor grant.
How the GGC and getting extracurricular funding works:
- Fill out the application ( you can watch our video on what a good application vs. what a bad application looks like down below) and make sure you add in all the information.
- The Director of Finance will contact you via email with information about when the GGC meets and how to prepare.
- You come to the GGC meeting where they will re-explain the process and answer any questions and then you will present your request.
- After your presentation, you will leave the meeting while the GGC discusses your application.
- When you come back, the GGC will tell you what they are going to recommend to the BSR (Board of Student Representatives) as the Board has to vote in order for you to get the funds.
- At the next BSR meeting, the Director of Finance will present your application to the Board. You are encouraged to attend the BSR meeting to answer any questions and to hear what the final verdict is on your application.
- Afterwards, the Director of Finance will contact you to explain how to access your funds!
What are recommendations that the GGC can make?
The GGC can make a lot of different recommendations. They can recommend the full amount you are asking for, a partial amount, up to a certain amount or ask you to rework your application.
If your presentation is lacking information, is incomplete or isn’t making sense, you will be asked to find the missing information, get some help with your presentation and return to present at the next GGC. A recommendation for partial funding may be made because something you are requesting funding for doesn’t fit in what the GGC covers, like merchandise for example.
Examples of what the GGC covers:
- Space rental ( ice time)
- Workshops and events
- Uniforms to participate in your group ( jerseys, etc)
- Transportation (bus rentals)
- New Equipment (new sports balls, writing supplies, etc)
- League fees
- Other projects you have on the go
Examples of what the GGC does and cannot cover:
- Honorariums or gifts for presenters or community members
- Merchandise being shirts or hoodies that you would have for fun. This does not include jerseys or required uniforms to participate in your activity.
- Funding for future years ( you can always re-apply next year!)
- To add an accurate budget spreadsheet to your application or a slideshow presentation!
- The GGC does not cover merchandise for any group.
- Make sure to come prepared to present your application and talk about your group!